Our competition year runs from May 1 - April 30. Two different types of Competitions are held at this time - The End of Year Competition and the Special Award Competition. These Competitions have different rules.
The results are announced at the Annual Awards and Appreciation Banquet in June.
An image may be entered into either the End of Year Competition, or the Special Award Competition, but not both.
End of Year Competition
This competition is for images that were already entered into our regular monthly competitions during the competition year. Only images that were entered into the monthly competitions are eligible.
Each member may enter two (2) Creative Images, two (2) Nature Images, two (2) Open Images, and four (4) Prints.
Entries must be the same size and medium as the original entry (print, slide or digitally projected) and entered into the same original Category - Projected (Creative, Nature, Open) or Print (Small Color, Large Color, Small Monochrome, Large Monochrome.) However, you are allowed to make small changes to your original image to incorporate feedback received during commentary.
- Can only images that won in the monthly Competitions be submitted? No, all images that were entered into the regular monthly competitions are eligible, whether they received an award or not.
- My image was originally entered into Nature. Can I enter it into Open instead? No. Images in the End of Year Competition must be entered into the same Category as the the original monthly competition.
- What about Assignments? For the End of Year Competitions, Assignment images are treated just the same as any other monthly image entry. If the image was originally held in the Open Category, the image will be eligible for submission into the Open Category.
- I would like to make changes to my image based on feedback from the monthly competition. Is that allowed? Yes - as long as the image still meets the restrictions for that category. If an image was originally entered into Nature, for example, any editing done must still be allowed in the Nature Category. For the most part any re-editing should be a minor change that was suggested by the commentator - a different crop, cloning out a small distracting element, toning down highlights, etc. Note that you may have to enter your re-edited images in a slightly differently way. You may have to add "edited" to the image title because the website does not allow two images with the same name.
- Who judges these images? Three people who are not members of SPS judge the images. Usually this is another photo club.
To enter your images into this Competition - This step by step guide shows each step listed below with screenshots.
- Click on "Submit Images to a Competition."
- Find the Category for the End of Year Competition you wish to enter, (Creative, for example) and click Select.
- Click on "Add Images from my Image Library."
- The next screen that comes up will allow you to filter your images to make them easier to choose. If you know the title of the image you want to enter, you can search for it by name. If not, use the search options to find the images you wish to enter. The most useful filtering option may be to filter by "Competition Type."
- Competition Type - Find the heading in the left hand column that says "Competition Type." (The default is set to "Do not filter on Competition Type.") Use the down arrow to bring up the Competition Categories. Select the one you are entering ("Creative Projected" for example.) This will bring up only those images that were entered into the Creative Category.
- Click on "Search for Images." This may take a few moments.
- Put a check mark to select the images you want to enter.
- When you are finished, click "Finished Marking Desired Images."
- This brings up a page where you can edit the title. For the End of Year Competitions, leave the title the same.
- Click on "Save any changes and return to the original page."
- To enter images into the next Category, click on "Return to Competition List," and repeat this process.
New this year, you are allowed to edit an image based on feedback received during commentary. For example, if the commentator suggested a crop for the image, you are now allowed to crop the image and submit that version. There is one catch, however- the website software will not allow you to have two copies of the same image with the same name. To get around this, you may need to add "edited" to the image title. (Example - "Baskets - edited.") Note that this is an area that we have not experimented with much. There may be other unforeseen issues.
Special Award Competition
One image may be entered into each of the categories below.
Images submitted into the regular monthly competitions are eligible for this competition, but an image may be entered into either the End of Year Competition, or the Special Award Competition, but not both. Images that were not submitted to a monthly competition are also eligible, and can be entered into future monthly competitions.
If you are entering an image that was previously submitted, follow the steps listed above to find the image in your image library.
Category - In honor of
- Zoo / Aquarium (print only) - Richard I. Birchfield
- Macro (projected only) - Millie Kelly
- Travel - The Andersons
- Originality - Grace Lanctoc
- Design (patterns) - Florence Turner
- Frost (and/ or) Snow- Howard and Sadie Wilder, George Manwaring
The Annual Awards and Appreciation Banquet is held on the 3rd Tuesday in June of each year. This is often a banquet and social event. Winners of the End of Year and Special Award Competitions are announced, and other certificates and awards are presented.
Awards presented may include:
- Merit Award - Presented each time a member accumulates 5 Merit Points within a Division (Print) or Category (Projected.) Merit Points accumulate over the lifetime of the member.
- Print Division - one Merit Point is awarded to the maker of the image in each Category that receives 1st place and scores 39 points or above. There may be multiple 1st place winners, and all will receive one Merit Point.
- Projected Division - one Merit Point is awarded to the makers of the images in each Category that receive 1st and 2nd place and score 39 or above. There may be multiple 1st and 2nd place winners, and all will receive one Merit Point.
- Total Points Accumulated Award - Presented to members with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest total scores in each Category for the competition year. (Ties are possible.)
- Highest Average Score Award - Presented to members with average scores of 39.0 and above during the competition year, to acknowledge their consistent achievement. (Ties are possible.)
- In the Print Division, each member’s score is calculated by averaging their 10 highest scores across the Division as a whole. All of the Categories (Small Color, Large Color, Small Monochrome, and Large Monochrome) are included into one average.
- In the Projected Division, each member’s score is calculated by averaging their 6 highest scores in each separate Category (Creative, Nature, Open and Themes.)
- People’s Choice Award - Presented each time a member accumulates 5 People’s Choice Points within a Category. The People's Choice images are selected by the membership. After every Competition, members will be able to vote for their favorite image(s) in each Category. People’s Choice Points accumulate over the lifetime of the member.
- Distinguished Service Award - This award is presented on occasion to a member who has shown a long history of committed service to the club. Recipients of this award have been active members who have worked to improve the club in numerous ways such as by serving on the board, by being a commentator, by judging images, and/or by conducting workshops. The club could not function without these dedicated volunteers.
All rights reserved. Request prior written permission from the photographer to reproduce their images.
Website questions or comments please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.